South of Tokyo is the vibrant city of Yokohama, home to Japan's largest Chinatown.
This is where the early roots of all ramen can be traced. It's also where this style of ramen, "Sanman-men", was born. What's unique about Sanma-men is it's sticky and starchy layer of soup at the very top. It's sweetly flavored but combined with the soup below, it also has a hot and sour quality to it. The bowl is brimming with fresh vegetables, from crunchy carrots to Japanese spinach.
- Boil 430 ml of water
- Open lid (without removing completely)
- Place toppings in purple packet on top of noodles
- Pour boiled water up to line, seal lid and place clear packet (veggies) on top to heat, wait 4 minutes
- Break up noodles and pour in light blue packet, mix soup
- Remove excess water from clear packet, add clear packet contents to bowl
- Add red packet to bowl, mix soup and you're ready!
Did you enjoy the ramen? Let us Know!
Feel free to tag us on Instagram @5AMRamen. Or email us at if you have questions or need help!